FOLLOW ME ON:

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Chapter 19 When Life Betrays You

Warning: This chapter contains violence. Reader discretion is advised. If this makes you uncomfortable, please skip the violence parts. Thank you!

When Life Betrays You

Kyuhyun was in shock. This wasn’t possible. How could Taekyung be alive? He had been strangled in his cell by his inmate. Kyuhyun blinked and then swallowed. And he paid for his moment of hesitation.

Sungmin screamed as another large dose of electricity charged through him. This time, the electric charge came from around his waist. Sungmin twisted, anything to get away from the blinding pain in his midriff.

“Stop it!” Kyuhyun yelled, firing a bullet against the wall where it ricocheted off. Taekyung stopped electrocuting Sungmin.

“Didn’t I say that if you fired again, Sungmin would die?” Taekyung snarled. Kyuhyun’s blood ran cold. How could he have been so thoughtless? What had he done? He had just signed his own husband’s death certificate.

“If you shoot Lee Sungmin, you’ll be dead before his body goes cold,” Yunho said from the doorway, holding two guns and pointed them in opposite directions. One was aimed at Taekyung and the other was moving between the seven men that were still standing.

“What can you do? There’s only the two of you and eight of us. In the time it will take you to kill all of us, Sungmin will be dead,” the Black Hand leader stated coldly. Kyuhyun saw that a distraction was needed. He had to stop the leader from thinking about taking Sungmin from him.

“Why do you want to kill him so badly anyways?” Kyuhyun broke in, unsure of any other way to stop Taekyung.

“Because if it wasn’t for him, Jiwon would still be here with me,” Taekyung snarled, kicking Sungmin in the ribs. Kyuhyun started forwards but was held back by Yunho. Two of the remaining men took a half step towards Kyuhyun.

“Stand down,” Taekyung ordered them. The two men obliged. Kyuhyun was breathing hard, staring at Sungmin who was still lying on the floor, his blood staining the stone of the floor. Kyuhyun wanted so desperately to go and hold his husband but the gun was still on him and Kyuhyun wasn’t foolish enough to try it.

“Why is it Sungmin’s fault?” Kyuhyun asked, his voice shaking.

“Because he’s the one responsible for Jiwon’s death. Ten years ago, I met Jiwon. He was just getting over the loss of his girlfriend who had gotten pregnant with his child. His parents had banned him from supporting her and he was devastated.

“But I talked to him and that day, we got to know each other better. We became good friends. He told me he wanted to get his son back from his girlfriend but didn’t know how. I told him I would help him. But I didn’t realize that he had another way of doing it.

“He never told me that he was in a gang that he had started, Black Hand. But when I found out I wanted to join. So he initiated me and I was part of his life now. I helped him get his son from his girlfriend. I was the one who gave him the idea.

“So we were both training Agent 7 as we called him then. He was killed later. Jiwon never really got over losing his weapon. He kept saying that it was a waste of time training him if he was going to be killed so easily,” Taekyung mused.

Kyuhyun bit his lip to keep from shouting something that would end up turning against them. So it was Taekyung who had the idea of killing Jiwon’s girlfriend in order to get his child for himself. It was Taekyung who had made Minwoong’s life so hard.

“That still doesn’t explain it,” Yunho said tersely.

“I’m getting there. Be patient would you? It’s not that hard, motherfucker. Anyways, during the time when we were training Minwoong or Agent 7, Jiwon found Sungmin. He was interested in him because he was so happy. Jiwon didn’t see how anyone could be that way all the time. He intended to show Sungmin exactly what life was about.

“So he used his charm, his voice, his words, everything to bring Sungmin in and keep him there. And Sungmin fell for it. He fell in love with Jiwon. And it was then that I began to hate him. Because Jiwon was mine. I was the one there when he was hurting. Sungmin wasn’t.

“He never paid attention to me anymore. Sungmin, his little fuck toy, was all he cared about. He wanted to bring Sungmin down. And I encouraged it. The faster that he broke the boy, the faster he could come back to me. I wasn’t about to stop it.

“It took a year from the time that they started dating to the time that Jiwon moved him to a richer part of town for Sungmin to be beaten into submission. And all the while, I was left behind, left to deal with his gang while he fucked Sungmin and made him submit.

“Oh yes, I was jealous and still am but now it runs deeper than that. Anyways, once Sungmin tried to rebel. He ran away. Jiwon was angered by that and I saw my chance. I knew that he would never love Sungmin but I had always been there for him. So one night, I went over to their house and told Jiwon that I could get his gang to track Sungmin down.

“He was elated by that. He thanked me endlessly, wondered what he would do without me. I knew I was important to him. That night he took me. He became mine and I became his and I knew, that he loved me. Sungmin was his fuck buddy but I was his lover.

“He got Sungmin back. I gave him more ideas for beating Sungmin. Every time Sungmin displeased him, he would come to me. I gave him comfort and love. Sungmin gave him pain. Anyways, he got a job with KP Productions and suddenly everything was about image. He beat Sungmin more, angry because he kept bringing him down.

“And when Sungmin left him to be with you, Kyuhyun, I was the one who comforted him through his anger. He was so angry that Sungmin would leave him after all he had done for him. But I reminded him he still had me. And one day, because I wanted him to be happy with me, I tracked Sungmin.

“I found you two living together. And I had a weapon. Make Jiwon love me, destroy Sungmin and get you out of the picture to add to Sungmin’s torment. I went to tell him but you were already back. And you destroyed my plans” Taekyung glared at Sungmin who was still panting on the floor.

Kyuhyun wanted to go to Sungmin and stop his bleeding wounds but he knew that Taekyung wouldn’t allow it. And it angered him. Sungmin was losing blood, he could be dying. But Taekyung would like that and would end Sungmin’s life indefinitely if he even tried to help. Kyuhyun ground his teeth in frustration. And then he heard faint voices. The rest of his team was coming. Now he had to keep Taekyung talking.

“That still doesn’t explain-” Kyuhyun began.

“Patience, Kyuhyun!” Taekyung snapped. “When Jiwon threw Sungmin out of the house, I couldn’t have been happier. But then he grew angry that Sungmin wasn’t coming back. He thought that he was taking pleasure in whoever he could find. And he hated that thought because it made him look like a fool.

“And then I knew I couldn’t tell him about you. If you were still alive, Kyuhyun, Sungmin would stay with you and never come back to Jiwon. And I would have what I should have to begin with. So I let you live. I didn’t tell him your name. Not even when he found out and asked me to get Sungmin and torture him for the last time.

“Then he got arrested and was killed in prison. If Sungmin hadn’t come into our lives, he would still be here with me. I would have what I should have had to begin with. A life with Jiwon. But Sungmin happened. And because of him, we were both sent to jail. I escaped by faking my death. He died.

“And I knew I had to have revenge. After all, Kyuhyun took revenge for Sungmin on Jiwon, so I decided to pay him back. A life for a life. So I sent you threatening messages. And someone sent you warnings that you never figured out. Someone with access to our base. But I could never figure out who it was. And I couldn’t very well go killing off everyone I suspected.

“But now it’s come down to this. And Sungmin here will pay with his life. Because he deserves to lose it. He didn’t deserve someone as special as Jiwon. He would only hurt him. So I will make his spirit happy. I will take revenge where he could not,” a demented smile broke over Taekyung’s face as he turned to look upwards.

Kyuhyun on the other hand, was seething with anger. His blood boiled as he thought of Jiwon touching his Sungmin. He wanted nothing more than to rip Taekyung to shreds as he stood there, gazing up at the ceiling.

“They’re coming. Get ready. Throw yourself down on Sungmin and let me take care of Taekyung. When I say now, okay?” Yunho whispered from behind him. Kyuhyun nodded imperceptibly. Taekyung didn’t appear to have noticed. He had begun shouting at the roof.

“Do you hear that Jiwon? I will make you proud. I will show you that I am worthy of your love! I will take Lee Sungmin down!” Black Hand’s leader shouted. Kyuhyun looked at him in alarm. He wondered about Taekyung’s sanity.

“And now, it’s time for Sungmin to leave this earth,” Taekyung’s smile was back on his face. He raised a golden knife and before anybody could react, there was a bang, a clang and Taekyung was holding his hand, snarling with pain.

Kyuhyun looked around to see Minwoong standing there, holding a smoking gun. He realized that Minwoong had probably just saved Sungmin’s life. He heaved a sigh of relief.

“Chung Minwoong?” Taekyung gasped. The magnae gazed at him coldly.

“The one and only,” Minwoong replied. He knew what he was getting into. He knew he could be killed if he went into battle now. But maybe he was destined to die in gang warfare anyways. So he would go down honourably. He was fighting for something he believed in now. And that made it all worth it.

“You’re dead! Jiwon’s Weapon is gone! You, Agent 16, were killed!” Taekyung yelled, nursing his hurt hand. Sungmin began to crawl towards Kyuhyun. Everyone was focused upon Minwoong.

“You’re right. Jiwon’s Weapon is gone. I am not Jiwon’s Weapon, nor Agent 16. Not anymore. I’m Jung Minwoong.”

Taekyung glared at him for a minute. The he turned to the rest of the men standing a little behind him. “Attack!” Taekyung screamed.

“Now!” Yunho yelled. Kyuhyun threw himself on top of Sungmin and held him there as bullets rained overhead. The large room filled as members of Rebel Heirs stormed in, holding their weapons aloft and engaging in gun battle then and there.

“Kyuhyun, get out of here!” Sungmin pleaded from underneath him. He was afraid. He didn’t want Kyuhyun to die. “It’s me they want, not you. Go, leave and live! As long as you’re safe, I don’t care what happens to me!”

“You’d honestly think I’d leave without you? I promised you once that I would never let you leave me. I’m not letting that happen ever again,” Kyuhyun tightened his hold as a gunshot sounded close to his head.

“I’ll just slow you down. I can barely move,” Sungmin whimpered, holding up his shirt for Kyuhyun to see the lacerations on his once smooth stomach. Kyuhyun felt like vomiting. Long trails of blood marred Sungmin’s once perfect skin.

“I’m not leaving you here,” Kyuhyun bent down and helped Sungmin up, one arm around his waist, supporting him. Sungmin gasped as his back screamed in protest. He bit his lip to stop himself from crying out.

Through the battling bodies, they managed to make it out without being killed. Kyuhyun looked around. They must have exited out another door because Kyuhyun didn’t recognize anything. A figure raced around the corner and Kyuhyun pulled out a gun from his belt. He pointed it at the incoming figure and fired. The Black Hand member fell, blood gurgling in his throat as he tried to call for help.

He held onto Sungmin tightly, moving past the downed gang member as he tried to find a way out. Sungmin was weak, enough so that Kyuhyun was scared. He heard his husband’s shallow breathing and swore softly as he tried to find an exit.

“WHERE ARE THEY?! FIND THEM! KILL THEM!” Kyuhyun heard a scream from the hall behind them. More gunshots sounded as the Rebel Heirs members streamed out of the room, some still shooting and others running to help Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

Shinjung asked no questions, said no hellos and gave no statistics. He picked Sungmin up and began to run. Kyuhyun followed close behind him, his heart pounding as he heard the continuing gunfire.

They charged down the stairs and onto the second floor. Kyuhyun saw ten people with a tattoo of a B and an H entwined.

“There are more of them! Over there!” Kyuhyun pointed.

“Take Sungmin. Let me handle them. Yoochun and Junsu are on the outside of the building, guarding the prisoners that we have. Not that we need to, they’re all unconscious. Go to the first floor and out the main door then to the right. You’ll find them. Go! You five, come with me!” Shinjung ran off with five other members.

Kyuhyun took Sungmin and began to run. He had to get Sungmin to safety. He just had to. He had promised nothing like this would ever happen again. And he had broken that promise. He had to make sure Sungmin was safe.

He ran outside and to the right. He found Yoochun and Junsu pacing around with an anxious looking Changmin sitting on the grass, staring up at the building.

“Kyuhyun! Is Sungmin okay? Woah, what happened to him?!” Junsu exclaimed as he saw the two.

“He’s been hurt really badly. Listen, get the cars. Changmin, go help Minwoong. He’s holding most of them off with a few others but he’ll need some backup. I’ll stay here with Sungmin. I still have most of my weaponry,” Kyuhyun panted. The others didn’t argue. Changmin took five Rebel Heirs’ and ran into the building.

Kyuhyun set Sungmin down on the grass and lay him back. He brushed the hair out of Sungmin’s face.

“I should never have tried to leave you. You always find me,” Sungmin smiled weakly.

“You should never try to get away from me. I’ll always come to find you,” Kyuhyun answered. He was about to say more when Shinjung appeared behind him.

“Kyuhyun, we’ve got a slight advantage but not by much. It’s the new recruits that are watching the place. Apparently they thought there wouldn’t be any trouble. We’ve lost Kihyuk and Yongkyu and a couple others. I haven’t got all the names yet,” Shinjung reported.

“Damn it. Don’t kill them, just disable them. Their arms and legs. That way they can’t run or shoot,” Kyuhyun ordered. Shinjung was distracted by the arrival of Black Hand members running out of the building.

“Shit. They’ve gotten out here. I’ll go help Minwoong and Changmin. We still have thirty five left of forty. Some are hurt and others are killed. Take care of Sungmin. I’ll be back,” Shinjung ran back into the fray, pulling out more of his arsenal.

Kyuhyun turned to look around for the cars. Where were they? What was taking so long? Yoochun and Junsu should be here by now unless they had been intercepted by Black Hand which he hoped wasn’t the case.

While Kyuhyun was pondering this, Taekyung had gotten out of the fray, looking for him and Sungmin. Being the skilled fighter that he was, he had managed to take down fifteen Rebel Heirs members and some of his own in his search for Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

He spotted them to the right of the battling gangs. He strode forwards, a mad gleam in his eye. This was his chance. It was now.

“Die,” Taekyung whispered, pointing his gun at Kyuhyun’s turned back. He smirked. Too easy.

Sungmin saw this and his eyes went wide. The world seemed to grow smaller as he saw where Taekyung was looking. At Kyuhyun. Fear welled up inside Sungmin’s throat. Kyuhyun had come to save him.

And then Sungmin understood. He understood why Jaejoong had thrown himself in front of a bullet for Yunho. His eyes widened in terror as he saw Taekyung’s finger close over the trigger.

“Kyuhyun!” Sungmin screamed. The younger male heard the noise and turned to see what was going on. His eyes widened in horror as he watched Sungmin’s eyes close, a hole spurting a thick red liquid in his back.

Sungmin fell towards him, and Kyuhyun caught him. His heart was pounding wildly as he held Sungmin, feeling him breathe heavily. He caught sight of Taekyung grinning. Anger rushed up inside of him. He would pay for this.

“You’ll pay for this, Taekyung!” Kyuhyun yelled, tears starting to form. Instantly, they were surrounded by members of Rebel Heirs. The youngsters, all that was left of Black Hand at the moment, stared on in shock.

Two members of Rebel Heirs disarmed Taekyung and held him up. Kyuhyun walked in front of him. Cold ice burned in his veins. He couldn’t express his hatred for the man in front of him. He punched Taekyung, the same way he had punched Jiwon five years ago.

“Looks like you were saved,” Taekyung grinned despite his predicament. Kyuhyun glared at the man being held by his gang members. He had just made the biggest mistake of his entire life. He didn’t care anymore. He was going to pay for what he did to Sungmin.

He pulled out his silver gun and pointed it at Taekyung’s right shoulder. The man grinned.

“Not man enough to kill me? Will you give me the same punishment that you gave my lover?” Taekyung sneered.

“I spared Jiwon, my first punishment. To you, I will be nice. Join your lover in hell,” Kyuhyun raised his gun and shot Taekyung through the head. Blood splattered the grass behind him and Kyuhyun smiled in satisfaction. Then he turned to Sungmin. He smiled. Junsu and Yoochun were putting him into a car. They had to get out of there before Black Hand woke up from their shock and came after them.

~₴~≠~₴~≠~

No comments:

Post a Comment